Family Stewardship Program
Family Stewardship Program-Sharing your time, talent & treasure-
The educational experience at St. Rita is enhanced by the stewardship commitment of the families who share their time, talents and treasure with the school community. Taking part in the Family Stewardship Program is not intended to be a hardship! Each family is asked to commit to a number Stewardship “Shares” for each school year.
Report Your Hours
Families must track the hours performed and report them to the Family Service Program Coordinator on a regular basis. The FSP Coordinator will provide regular reports on the completion of the service hour commitment to the principal and the PTO. All service hours must be performed by May 15th. To report your hours, please e-mail the FSP Coordinator at email@example.com.
One share can be earned in one of the following ways:
- Complete one hour of volunteering for the school or PTO (on-site or off-site)
- Donate an item(s) in the value of $15. Purchasing and supplying food or event supplies for a class party, monthly faculty lunch, or any school event needs to be documented to be counted for Stewardship Shares. Every $15 equals one (1) Share.
- In coordination with the 5K and silent auction chairs, independently solicit monetary or in-kind donations or sponsorship to the school, the 5K, Golf Tournament, or other events as approved by the PTO President, you will earn one (1) Share for every $100 raised.**
Volunteering for PTO Board and certain PTO Coordinator positions will automatically satisfy your family’s Stewardship Commitment via receiving the allotted credit of Stewardship Shares. Additionally, other PTO Volunteer positions are worth a specified number of shares and will allow families to earn more at one time.
**The 5K and school regularly solicit and request donations and sponsorships from a select group of local and national organizations.
Commitment per Family
- 25 shares per two-parent family
- 12 shares per one-parent family
In being mindful of the very busy lives of the St. Rita families, the request of either 25 or 12 shares, which averages to 2.5 and 1.2 hours/month, respectively, should be manageable and not a hardship. However, in the spirit of mercy and compassion, if your family situation makes fulfilling this commitment a hardship, either of time or of finances, please contact the PTO President for a confidential exemption of part or whole of your family’s Stewardship Commitment. An exemption is only applicable for the current school year. Additionally, families with a deployed parent will automatically receive an exemption of 50% of their Family Stewardship Commitment, but you must inform the PTO President as soon as you learn about the family member’s deployment.
Balance of Stewardship Commitment
- $15 per unfulfilled Share
The PTO works hand in hand with the school in providing a number of stewardship opportunities. For families who are unable to complete their Stewardship commitment in a school year, there will be a $15 fee for each unfulfilled share. This will be collected via FACTS and those families with a Stewardship Share balance will receive an invoice by June 1st and the fee will be collected with the June FACTS charge.
Should a family experience extenuating circumstances and find they are unable to fulfill their commitment, they may contact the Family Stewardship Coordinator and/or PTO President to request a confidential exemption.
Additional Commitments & Expectations Requested
- Room Parents
- To increase class representation and participation, Room Parents are requested to attend the monthly PTO meeting or send a substitute if unable to attend. Preschool Room Parents are encouraged and welcome to attend, but are not required to do so.
- Various incentives to participate, and increase attendance by all parents, will be announced throughout the school year.
- Send class a monthly email summary of pertinent information gleaned from the PTO meeting, newsletter or any other details that the class may need.
- Kindergarten Parents – Kindergarten Graduation (PTO funded)
- The Kindergarten graduation is hosted by the parents of students, and coordinated by the Room Parents.
- 3rd grade Parents (optional based on need: 1st grade parents) (PTO funded)
- Host the 1st Communion Reception(s). This historically was hosted by the 1st grade but a proposal was put forth to the PTO, and unanimously approved, that the most appropriate class to host the reception would be 3rd It is noted that the 2015-16 2nd and 1st grade will consequently host this reception twice.
- In years when it is anticipated that there will be a large number of First Communicants, or there will be two First Communion Masses, the 1st grade parents will also be requested to co-host the First Communion Reception(s).
- 6th grade Parents (PTO funded)
- Host the Confirmation Reception
- 7th grade Parents (PTO funded)
- Host the Graduation Reception
- 8th Grade Parents
- Host a breakfast for the 8th grade students the morning of their High School Placement test
Parents may, while volunteering for legitimate PTO or school business, utilize Extended Day free of charge. To take advantage of this gracious offering from the school, parents will need to complete a voucher request when signing your child(ren) out of EDC. This benefit is only available for K-8 students registered at St. Rita. Please ask PTO President or EDC teachers for details.
The Diocese of Arlington requires that all adult employees and volunteers that have significant contact with children must be VIRTUS compliant. To become VIRTUS compliant, you must complete two parts: a four-hour class and background check paperwork that is submitted to the Parish Secretary. To register for on upcoming class, please visit www.virtus.org and you may request the paperwork from the school office. If you took a training in another diocese, please contact the PTO’s VIRTUS Coordinator for information and assistance in having your certification transferred. Please note that not all programs are similar and that the Diocese of Arlington may not recognize prior classes and trainings you may have taken.
During School Hours
- Chaperone field trips
- Class parties
- Lunch helper
- School Open Houses
- Family Night(s)
- Book Fair
- Rita 5K
- Golf Tournament
- Field Day
- Annual Silent Auction
- New Family Welcome Coffee
- Rita Festival Table
- First Communion Reception
- Confirmation Reception
- Graduation Reception
After School Hours
- Troops of St. George
- Track Team chaperone
- Basketball Coach
- Rita 5K committee
- Annual Silent Auction Committee
- School Yearbook
- School Play Practice chaperone
- Girl Scouts
- Boy Scouts
- American Heritage Girls
- Monthly PTO meetings
- VIRTUS training seminar
- Hospitality and Calling All Chefs Committees
- Baking for school events & receptions
- Making donation calls for 5K & Auction
- Monthly Faculty Luncheons
- Auction + 5K:
- Administrative tasks: editing & creating written materials & certificates, creating crafts, posters, etc.
- Graphic Design: creating flyers, logos, invitations, photo editing, etc.
- Errand Running
- Online Research
- Donations to any and all school events
- Donations of materials to school
PTO Board member (25)
Room Parent Coordinator (25)
**Preschool Room Parent – Lambs 2 (25)
**Preschool Room Parent – Lambs 3 (25)
**Preschool Shepherds Room Parent (25)
Room Parent, each grade K-8 (25)
Gabriel Room Parent (25)
Raphael Room Parent (25)
Michael Room Parent (25)
Weekly Newsletter Editor (25)
Diocesan PTO Representative
(traditionally held by PTO Board member)
Family Service Program Coordinator (25)
VIRTUS Coordinator (25)
Uniform Closet Coordinator (25)
Extracurricular + Student Enhancements
CYO Sports Representative / Sports Coordinator (25)
CYO Basketball Coach – Boys (25)
CYO Basketball Coach – Girls (25)
CYO Track Coach (25)
Walk for the Homeless Organizer (10)
School Play –Director(s) (25)
School Play – Producer(s) (25)
Girl Scout Coordinator (25)
Girl Scout Leaders (report hourly)
Cub Scout Cub master (25)
Cub Scout Leaders (report hourly)
American Heritage Girls Coordinator (25)
AHG leaders (report hourly)
Reading Incentives Coordinator (25)
*Yearbook Chair (25)
*Field Day Chairperson(s) (25)
Hospitality + Events
*Hospitality Chair (25)
School Bingo Night Organizer (12)
Organizer for any single event TBD (12)
First Communion Reception Coordinator(s)
(1st& 3rd grade parents) (25)
Confirmation Reception Coordinator
(6th gr. parent) (25)
Graduation Reception Coordinator
(7th gr. parent) (25)
School Lunch Coordinator (25)
School Lunch Helpers (report hourly)
Recess Monitor (report hourly)
*Silent Auction Chairperson(s) (25)
*5k Fun Run & Walk Chairperson(s)
*Book Fair Chair (25)
Fundraising Coordinator(s) (Restaurant Nights, Boxtops, etc.) (25)
Faculty Epiphany Dinner (25)
*Calling all Chefs Chair(s) (25)
Teacher Appreciation Week Organizer (12)